1 John 5:1, 4-5 1. Whoever believes that Jesus is the Christ is born of God, and everyone who loves Him who begot also loves Him who is begotten of Him. 4 For whatever is born of God overcomes the world. And this is the victory that has overcome the world – our faith. 5 Who is he who overcomes the world, but he who believes that Jesus is the Son of God?
1 John 4:15 – Whoever confesses that Jesus is the Son of God, God abides in him, and he in God.
How you behave is a pointer to what you really believe. Our pattern of life is influenced by our belief system. Being born of God is completely dependent on your belief in Jesus as the Christ: that is, as the anointed One and His Anointing. That seems like a cliché but it is the truth. It is the depth of your revelation of Jesus as the (Christ) (the anointed One and His Anointing) that would determine your height in doing and manifesting the works of Christ. Your belief in Jesus as the Christ (note this comes by revelation), births you into the company of the Sons of God.
Your sonship positions you as a world overcomer. That means, you are located above the systems of this world and operating in a higher system. The revelation of Christ, really births you into divinity. Our quest should be like that of Paul – ‘…that I may know Him.’ (Philippians 3:10). The word ‘know’ in that phrase is GINOSKO in Greek. It means to fully comprehend in all its variety; to be aware; to perceive; be resolved, be sure, to understand etc. Having the full comprehension of Jesus as Christ is what drives and effects our victory as Christians. It is your depth that determines your height. Some men took it upon themselves to carry out an investigation on Jesus Christ, to find out if He is truly who they say He is and to confirm the reliability of the information the public have been given about Jesus Christ. I have the summary of their conclusion below, and I want you to take note of the impact of their discovery on their lives and outlook:
- Simon Greenleaf (1783-1853) was one of the founders of Harvard Law School. He authored the authoritative three-volume text, A Treatise on the Law of Evidence (1842), which is still considered “the greatest single authority on evidence in the entire literature of legal procedure.” “Greenleaf literally wrote the rules of evidence for the U.S. legal system.” He was certainly a man who knew how to weigh the facts. He was an atheist until he accepted a challenge by his students to investigate the case for Christ’s resurrection. After personally collecting and examining the evidence based on rules of evidence that he helped establish, Greenleaf became a Christian and wrote the classic: Testimony of the Evangelists. Let [the Gospel’s] testimony be sifted, as it were given in a court of justice on the side of the adverse party, the witness being subjected to a rigorous crossexamination. The result, it is confidently believed, will be an undoubting conviction of their integrity, ability, and truth.
- Sir Lionel Luckhoo (1914-1997) is considered one of the greatest lawyers in British history. He’s recorded in the Guinness Book of World Records as the “World’s Most Successful Advocate,” with 245 consecutive murder acquittals. He was knighted by Queen Elizabeth II — twice. Luckhoo declared: I humbly add I have spent more than 42 years as a defense trial lawyer appearing in many parts of the world and I’m still in active practice. I have been fortunate to secure a number of successes in jury trials and I say unequivocally the evidence for the Resurrection of Jesus Christ is so overwhelming that it compels acceptance by proof which leaves absolutely no room for doubt.
- Lee Strobel was a Yale-educated, award-winning journalist at the Chicago Tribune. As an atheist, he decided to compile a legal case against Jesus Christ and prove Him to be a fraud by the weight of the evidence. As Legal Editor of the Tribune, Strobel’s area of expertise was courtroom analysis. To make his case against Christ, Strobel cross-examined a number of Christian authorities, recognized experts in their own fields of study (including PhD’s from such prestigious academic centers as Cambridge, Princeton, and Brandeis). He conducted his examination with no religious bias, other than his predisposition t o a t h e i s m . Remarkably, after compiling and critically examining the evidence for himself, Strobel became a Christian. Stunned by his findings, he organized the evidence into a book entitled, The Case for Christ, which won the Gold Medallion Book Award for excellence. Strobel asks one thing of each reader – remain unbiased in your examination of the evidence. In the end, judge the evidence for yourself, acting as the lone juror in the case for Christ…
- Now, over to you. What discovery have you made of Christ Jesus?
For Further study:
- Matthew 16:13-19
- 1 Peter 3:15 – But in your hearts set apart Christ as Lord. Always be prepared to give an answer to everyone who asks you to give the reason for the hope that you have. But do this with gentleness and respect.
Questions for Reflection:
- What place does Christ Jesus occupy in your heart?
- Can you explain Christ Jesus to an enquirer?
Jesus, You are my Lord and Saviour, nothing will ever take your place. I pledge my allegiance to You, to follow You all the remaining days of my life.